What are the mobile-specific features of my app?
You should not expect to see a spreadsheet in your app. Your spreadsheet is only a data source. You are creating an app optimized for a mobile device in four ways: data presentation, data capture, offline use, and branding.
- Mobile devices have limited screen sizes, so each data row is presented using mobile-optimized patterns.
- Most data views are summary views that expand to show the full details when an entry is clicked/tapped.
- In summary views, we always show the key value and as many other columns as possible.
- Actionable values (that launch actions when you tap them) like phone numbers and emails are preferentially shown.
- Columns on the left of the spreadsheet are considered more important than columns on the right.
- If there is an Image column, it is populated by taking a photo with the camera.
- Signatures can be captured on the touch screen. See how the signature feature works in our Delivery Tracking sample app.
- Enumerated types (defined by data validation lists in the spreadsheet) get a dropdown list to choose from.
What mobile platforms do you support?
AppSheet apps run on iOS and Android devices in a variety of device form factors.
We require iOS version 9.0 or higher. We recommend iOS version 10.0. Earlier versions of iOS can cause subtle bugs or performance problems.
We require Android version 4.4 or higher. We recommend Android version 5.0 or higher. Earlier versions of Android can cause subtle bugs or performance problems.
The memory required depends on:
- The amount of data downloaded to the device. This depends on the number of tables and the number of rows and columns in each table.
- The complexity of the app. This depends on the number of tables, views, expressions, etc.
- The device features used by the app. The camera and scanner add significantly to the RAM required. The higher the camera image resolution, the more memory required.
If you are purchasing an Android device for use with AppSheet, we recommend choosing Android 6.0 or greater with at least 2GB of RAM. More memory may be required depending on the number and resolution of photos you capture. We recommend testing your app thoroughly on the device before committing to it. Android performance can vary significantly between devices with seemingly similar specs.
Can the apps run in a mobile (or desktop) browser?
Yes. While we primarily focus on mobile devices, some AppSheet customers also run their apps in a web browser, usually within an iframe. In fact, on unsupported mobile platforms like Windows Phone, we recommend running within a browser. Most of the app functionality is supported in a browser except for:
- Bar code scanning
- Offline image and document caching
- Offline app launch
- Some upcoming functionality (like push notifications).
We recommend a modern browser and the apps work best on Chrome. AppSheet does not work on Internet Explorer versions lower than V10.0.