AppSheet can use the camera on your phone or tablet to capture barcoded or qr-coded data.
When you have marked an input column as scannable, your AppSheet application displays a scan icon next to that input field. When you click this icon, AppSheet activates the camera on your device and automatically reads the barcode or qr-code. AppSheet then saves this scanned value in the input field. When you save your changes, the scanned value is saved along with any other values you may have entered.
Use the Editor's Data>Column Structure tab to choose the column or columns that you'd like to be scannable.
Scannable is currently supported for Text and Ref column types. For Ref columns, the scan result should match an existing value in the key column of the referenced table.
For each scannable column, simply check the 'Scan?' checkbox.
The Search box is also scanner-enabled when a ScanText column is searchable.
Note: you do not need to download a separate scanner app to use this option. Most smartphones come automatically equipped with scanning functionality.
Testing the Barcode Scanner
To test barcode scanning, you must run the AppSheet application on a mobile device.
Barcode scanning is not supported when you run the AppSheet application in a web browser or in the AppSheet Editor emulator window. In this case, we return the default value "111122333" as the scanned value. This allows you to test the rest of the application.
Barcode Scanner limitations
- Scanning is only supported when running the AppSheet App on mobile devices using the default camera.
- Scanning only supports single line QR codes. Multi-line QR codes are not currently supported.
- Scanning is not supported when running an app in a web browser or in the Editor's emulator window. In this case, we return the default value "111122333" as the scanned value.
- Scanning is not supported in white-label apps.
Supported barcode formats / symbologies:
- UPC-A and UPC-E
- EAN-8 and EAN-13
- QR Code
- Interleaved-Two-of-Five (ITF)
- Code 39
- Code 128
- Data Matrix
If your app requires a barcode format that isn't listed please contact email@example.com